The new Roundtable S belt-drive turntable from Musical Fidelity builds upon the original Roundtable version thanks design enhancements and improved specifications including an Ortofon 2m Red cartridge and perspex cover.
While Musical Fidelity is well know for its electronics, Musical Fidelity’s first turntable, the high-end M1 released in 2003, was engineered to a very high standard and well received in the press. The Roundtable MK2 turntable utilises that success to create an entry-level model with an number of enhancements over the original Roundtable, aimed at improving both the listening experience, functionality and value for money.
It offers a high quality low resonance 9” pickup arm (magnetic anti-skating) with steel tipped vertical bearings housed in zirconium with rubber damping, not dissimilar in principle to the Incabloc shock protection system on watches. The horizontal bearings are ABEC7 ball bearings. It is fitted standard with an Ortofon 2M Red cartridge – an all-purpose cartridge that delivers open, dynamic sound with a slight touch of warmth.
In addition a clear perspex dust-cover now comes standard on MK2 Roundtables where as it was previously an option.
Top spec components include: a polished high carbon tool steel bearing – for an exceptional long life and friction free performance – an extremely inert chassis and suspension system and a very high quality pick up arm, usually used on products several price categories higher.
The platter is made from finely machined high density MDF and has high mass and low resonance. The plinth made from similar bulky low resonance material, is now significantly expanded in foot print and higher mass, offer improved low resonance to ensure a stable platform for vinyl disc playing.
The very high quality pickup arm complements the Ortofon Red cartridge exceptionally well. The Mk2 turntable offer represents excellent isolation properties, low resonance, high stability and consistency. The motor, belt and main platter bearing are all selected for complimentary characteristics.
- Nominal speed 33/45 rpm, outside belt drive system, manual speed change
- Speed Variance 33rpm: ± 0.30 %, 45rpm: ± 0.20 %
- Wow and flutter 33rpm: ± 0.10%, 45rpm: ± 0.09%
- Signal to noise ratio Mechanical noise: – 39 dB
- Electrical noise: -65dB
- Downforce range 0 – 25 mN
- Tonearm 9” straight shape massive aluminium construction
- Supplied counterweights no. 82, weight 114g (± 1g), for cartridges from 5 to 13g
- Effective tonearm mass 14g
- Effective tonearm length 230mm (tonearm mounting distance 212mm)
- Overhang 18mm
- Power requirement 15V 0.8A (Adaptor supplied)
- Consumption >0.25 Watts standby 5 Watts maximum
- Adaptor mains voltage 110-240 V 50-60Hz
- Unit only, unboxed 6 kg
- In shipping carton 8 kg
- Width 542 mm
- Height (including feet) 100 mm
- Depth (front to back) Inc. terminals 342 mm
About the Ortofon 2M Red Cartridge
The 2M Series of cartridges is designed for precise and accurate retrieval of the information in the record groove. Our philosophy is to play the record sound as accurate as possible without any coloration.
- Ortofon moving magnet cartridge
- Tipped elliptical diamond stylus & split pole pins for flat frequency response
- Supplied as replacement for faulty/worn stylii on all turntables
- Output voltage at 1000 Hz, 5cm/sec: 5.5 mV
- Channel balance at 1 kHz: 1.5 dB
- Channel separation at 1 kHz: 22 dB
- Channel separation at 15 kHz: 15 dB
- Frequency range at - 3dB: 20-22,000 Hz
- Frequency response: 20-20,000 Hz + 3 / - 1 dB
- Tracking ability at 315Hz at recommended tracking force: 70 µm
- Compliance, dynamic, lateral: 20 µm/mN
- Stylus type: Elliptical
- Stylus tip radius: r/R 8/18 µm
- Tracking force range: 1.6-2.0g (16-20 mN)
- Tracking force, recommended: 1.8 g (18 mN)
- Tracking angle: 20°
- Internal impedance, DC resistance: 1.3 kOhm
- Internal inductance: 700 mH
- Recommended load resistance: 47 kOhm
- Recommended load capacitance: 150-300 pF
- Cartridge colour, body/stylus: Black/Red
- Cartridge weight: 7.2 g