Polk's best ever floor-standing speakers
Over the decades we've worked together to help customers enjoy the best listening experiences possible. Well, what's "possible" has just been re-imagined by Polk. Let's take a closer look at what makes these unique speakers so special.
Stereo playback the way it was intended
In 1985 Polk introduced a patented technology called SDA® (Stereo Dimensional Array) that aimed to preserve stereo separation from your speakers to your ears. In other words, your left ear heard the left speaker, and your right ear heard the right speaker.
Polk's SDA design uses an extra set of drivers on each speaker to produce an acoustically inverted “dimensional" signal that cancels "interaural crosstalk" — the phenomenon with conventional front-firing speakers where sounds from the left channel are heard by the listener's right ear, and vice versa.
SDA design advancements
All-new SDA-PRO™ technology improves on this unique design by angling each speaker's baffles by 15°. This enhancement allows the L800s to deliver an exceptionally wide soundstage with pinpoint stereo imaging. It also adds depth and realism to your listening experience that isn't possible with traditional forward-firing speakers.
There are two things to keep in mind when setting up these speakers. First, they connect together with a special cable that Polk includes, which allows the SDA channels to communicate with each other.
Second, you need to have a minimum of three feet of space between each speaker and its respective side wall for SDA to work as intended. If you don't have three feet of open space to the side of each speaker, you won't hear the ultra-wide soundstage that the L800s are capable of creating.
An array of high-tech drivers
Polk has rolled everything they've learned in their 45 years of speaker production into the Legend Series. Their new drivers reflect the company's passion for reproducing sound as naturally and as accurately as possible.
Take for instance their newly designed 1" Pinnacle ring radiator tweeter. It's a remake of a design that made Polk's LSi Series speakers beloved by our audiophile customers for years. Its carefully tuned waveguide helps create a wide listening "sweet spot," while also allowing you to hear instruments in space the way you would at an in-person performance.
Each L800 uses two of these high-performance tweeters. They're joined by a pair of the company's 5-1/4" Turbine Cone™ midrange drivers, whose innovative shape dramatically increases stiffness without adding mass.
But what about the bass?
Bass lovers, you're in for a treat. Each L800 uses a pair of 10" long-throw woofers to deliver deep, tight bass.
The L800's three-way design creates ultra-smooth, incredibly detailed sound throughout the tower speaker's wide frequency range.
Ideal for music and for movies
The L800s are exceptional stereo speakers. But they're also designed for use with matching Legend Series speakers as part of a high-end surround sound system. Whether you're enjoying your favorite album or the latest superhero movie, you'll appreciate the crystal-clear, vividly realistic sound these speakers produce.
- 3-way design with SDA-PRO (Stereo Dimensional Array) technology
- each speaker's baffles are angled at 15° for a wide soundstage and pinpoint stereo imaging
- important note: you'll need a minimum of three feet of space between each speaker and its respective side wall for SDA to work as intended
- dual 1" ring radiator tweeters with integrated waveguide for focused high frequencies
- dual 5-1/4" Turbine Cone midrange drivers
- dual 10" long-throw woofers for tight, punchy bass
- frequency response: 32-38,000 Hz (-3dB)
- impedance: 4 ohms
- sensitivity: 87 dB
- high-current amplification from a quality power amp or integrated amplifier is recommended for best performance
- recommended amplifier power: 25-300 watts
- bass-reflex (ported) enclosure with down-firing Enhanced Power Port
- reduces noise and increases bass output compared to traditional round or slot-firing ports
- dual sets of binding post speaker terminals for main channel allow bi-amping or bi-wiring
- input terminals for optional input terminals for optional L900 height module
- SDA interconnect terminals for connecting the left and right speakers
- each speaker includes 15-foot SDA-PRO interconnect cable; the two can be combined for a total of 30 feet
- removable magnetic grille
- real-wood veneer finish
- outrigger feet for a sturdy foundation
- 18"W x 48-5/8"H x 17-7/16"D (with outrigger feet)
- weight: 118 lbs. each