DB Series Subwoofers
Designed to be the best in classThe DB Series subwoofers aim to be the best-soundingproducts in their class. Each model combines Aerofoil driveunits, powerful amplification, a balanced configuration and adigital preamplifier with Dynamic EQ to deliver exceptionalprecision and authority with both movies and music.
Aerofoil cones for greater precisionAll three DB Series subwoofers use Aerofoil cones identicalto those found in the latest 800 Series Diamond loudspeakers.These light, ultra-stiff drive units resist bending and flexingfar longer than conventional cones, delivering controlled basswith outstanding precision.
Massive power for every applicationThe DB1D is the most powerful active subwoofer Bowers &Wilkins has ever made, its 2000W Hypex amplifier giving itastonishing reserves of drive and authority. With their 1000Wamplifiers, the DB2D and DB3D mirror the DB1D’s capabilityin more compact forms.
Balanced design gives cleaner soundAs with the PV1 and the original DB1 the new DB Series usestwo bass cones arranged in an opposed configuration. Thisbalanced arrangement greatly reduces cabinet vibration andensures a cleaner, more precise sound, so you’ll get great bassfree of the coloration that can plague powerful subwoofers.
Unrivalled ease of useThe all-new digital preamplifier and App-based set-up meansthe DB Series subwoofers are simple to configure and use.No separate microphone kit is required and the App is availablefor both iOS and Android devices. Dynamic EQ and Room EQensure optimal performance in every circumstance.
Suitable for CM S2 as well as 800 Series DiamondAlthough they match the new 800 Series Diamond models,all three DB Series subwoofers can also be used with CMSeries loudspeakers. DB2D and DB3D are especially relevantfor use with CM10 S2 ($4000/pair). The three finishes on thesubwoofers will match to CM Series loudspeakers too.
- All three DB Series subwoofers use a new digital preamplifierthat features Dynamic EQ with a custom-written algorithm. It isthis digital preamplifier that gives the new Series its name: DBnow stands for Digital Bass, with the D suffix at the end of themodel name referring to Dual drive units.
- The Dynamic EQ creates the ideal response in phase andmagnitude of a system behaving flat to 10Hz.
- The system dynamically adjusts itself to make the best use ofits available headroom to deliver optimal results.
- This is coupled to user-definable DSP presets that
- All three DB Series subwoofers use all-new Class Damplification from Hypex.
- All models use the 2 x 500W module.
- This gives a total of 1000W in the DB3D and DB2D.
- DB1D uses two sets of the Hypex module, with the amps inbridged mode. This gives 1000W per module or 2000W total.
Balanced drive unit force clamp
- All three subwoofers adopt a new central clamping mechanism that grips and rigidly secures each motor system in place.
- The balanced drive unit mechanism works because the forces that the drive units are generating are equal and in opposite directions. The stiff aluminium structure creates a more ideal mechanical coupling between the two motors and as a result, the balanced drive unit mechanism is even more effective.
- The aluminium mechanism is rigidly mounted into the cabinet of the subwoofer, which further stiffens the cabinet, rather like the Matrix assembly inside an 800 Series Diamond loudspeaker. The result is a cleaner, tighter sound.
DB Series subwoofers use the Aerofoil cone
- This increases the frequency of the first break-up.
- This is coupled to a new voice coil, new spider and new surround.
- DB Series subwoofers introduce new anti-vibration mountsthat decouple the mechanical vibration of the subwooferfrom the room. These mounts fit into the existing screw-infoot fixings and as an alternative, conventional speaker spikesare also supplied.
- The existing feet decouple over a certain frequency, butthis has been found to be in the middle of the operatingband of the subwoofer.
- The new anti-vibration mounts reduce the decouplingfrequency to below the output of the subwoofer (down to 5Hz).The result is a cleaner sound with reduced distortion. As asecondary benefit it reduces transmission of structural-bornvibration into neighbouring rooms.
- Stunning performance from a compact subwoofer
- 1000w Class D Hypex amplifier
- 2 x 200mm (8in) Aerofoil-cone drive units in a balanced configuration
- Digital preamplifier with Dynamic EQ, App-based set-up and BT-LE control
- 2 x XLR, 2 x RCA, 2 x 3.5mm 12V trigger, RS232 (15pin Din)
- 370mm x 315mm x 300mm / 14.5” x 12.4” x 11.8” (hwd, inc feet)
- Finishes: Gloss Black / Rosenut / White
- The DB Series subwoofers feature an all-new set-up and control App linked to an automatic EQ feature. This is available for both iOS and Android devices.
- The old OLED display screen, control interface and rotating amplifier plinth are dispensed with, as is the microphone calibration kit. Instead, the set-up App uses your phone’s microphone to capture measurements for the subwoofer’s EQ.
- Connection is made via BT-LE. The App includes Guides on positioning, set-up and troubleshooting and can be used to provide control over both subwoofer output and audio preset modes. We recommend using the EQ even if your AVR also includes an automatic calibration system such as Audyssey.
- For stereo use, preset filters are provided for partnering the subwoofer with matching Bowers & Wilkins loudspeakers. These and other settings such as level and phase can be user-definable too.
3 Colour Finishes:
Black as per new 800 Series Diamond with dark metal detailing, no visible trim-ring fixings and fixing-less full-front grilles using magnetic attachment as per DB1.
Satin White as per new 800 Series Diamond, with matched light tint aluminium detailing on the trim ring and amplifier module plus grey grille cloth.
Rosenut as per new 800 Series Diamond, with dark metal detailing on the trim ring and amplifier module as per Gloss Black and black grille cloth.