The Classic Evo Turntable Walnut with pre-fitted Ortofon 2M Bronze Cartridge
Sub-chassis turntable with 9“ carbon/alu sandwich tonearm
2M Black Moving Magnet Cartridge
The Ortofon 2M Moving Magnetic cartridge system is designed and developed for high performance reproduction of your favourite analogue records.
Ortofon has developed magnetic cartridges in various designs for many types of turntables, tone arms and for special purposes throughout the last 40 years.
As Ortofon´s 90th Company Anniversary approached, they decided to combine their expertise and latest technology in the development of the outstanding 2M cartridge design. We feel confident that you will appreciate and enjoy the unique qualities of these cartridges.
The Ortofon 2M Series was developed together with the Danish designer "Møller Jensen Design" from Copenhagen, Denmark - the same designer who designed the award winning Jubilee and the Kontrapunkt Moving Coil series of cartridges. The 2M series of Moving Magnet cartridges are engineered for precise and accurate retrieval of the information in the record groove. The Ortofon philosophy is to play the recorded sound as accuratly as possible, without colouration of the sound. They have optimised the design for ease of mounting the cartridge to the headshell with weight and size to fit the most common turntables at the market today.
Of course the 2M isn’t just another pretty face. The 2M series of cartridges feature Ortofon's trademark split pole pins, an invention which enables moving magnet cartridges to have a flat frequency response, as with a moving coil cartridge. Split pole pins were invented by Ortofon, and were originally presented in the 500 series and Super OM series. The Ortofon 2M Black uses an improved engine, which provides an increased output of 5.5mV.
The inspiration for designing the 2M was related to the facets of the diamond - elegantly concentrating its contours against the grooves on the record surface. All of the 2M cartridges feature diamonds which are polished to the highest standards in the industry. The Ortofon 2M Black Moving Magnet Cartridge features a full nude shibata diamond stylus.
The 2M's handsome elegance establishes a great combination of form and functionality and the name 2M was selected among several ideas. Ortofon wanted a modern name which should be easy to pronounce and to remember, and therefore an alpha numerical name was chosen. 2M means MM, which is the abbreviation for moving magnet. Ortofon are using the same names on their 2M series as they use on their Rondo series: Red, Blue, Bronze and in addition, Black..
2M Product of the Year in The Absolute Sound
Ortofon is proud to be the recipient of The Absolute Sound's annual Product of the Year award for the acclaimed 2M Series of cartridges. Specifically awarded the distinction are the 2M Red and 2M Black cartridges. According to the article, the 2M's greatest attribute is "the way it provides a more transparent window on the world of micro-energies, permitting it to plumb the depths of soundstaging and dimensionality."
- Output voltage at 1000 Hz, 5cm/sec.: 5.5 mV
- Channel balance at 1 kHz: 1.0 dB
- Channel separation at 1 kHz: 26 dB
- Channel separation at 15 kHz: 15 dB
- Frequency range at - 3dB: 20Hz-31kHz
- Frequency response: 20Hz-20kHz + 2 / - 0 dB
- Tracking ability at 315Hz at recommended tracking force: 80 um
- Compliance, dynamic, lateral: 22 um/mN
- Stylus type: Nude Shibata
- Stylus tip radius: r/R 6/50 um
- Tracking force range: 1.4-1.7 grams
- Tracking force, recommended: 1.5 grams (15 mN)
- Tracking angle: 20°
- Internal impedance, DC resistance: 1.2 kOhm
- Internal inductance: 630 mH
- Recommended load resistance: 47 kOhm
- Recommended load capacitance: 150-300 pF
- Cartridge colour, body/stylus: Black/Black
- Cartridge weight: 7.2 grams
- Replacement stylus unit: 2M Black
- Warranty: 12 months - cartridge only
The Classic Evo Turntable
The Classic meets the 175 VPO to melt design-ideas
The new Classic Evo is based on the successful EISA Award winner The Classic and the experience we won designing and building our icon turntable the 175 VPO. The main improvement is the sub-platter, where we used the experience we gained from designing the Vienna Philharmonic Recordplayer to add key changes to the Classic Evo, adding performance features that are rarely seen in this price category. For improved comfort, an electronic speed change was built in, which lets you switch from 33 to 45 rpm (and vice versa) with the push of a button.
Compared to the old Classic, we improved the subchassis; we tried to make it heavier and stiffer to reduce resonances.
Isolating the platter and tonearm from the resonances of the motor and main plinth is the target.
- Diamond cut precision alu sub-platter
- Improved sandwich subchassis
- Ortofon Quintet Red cartridge pre-installed
- Electronic speedcontrol (33/45 rpm)
- Belt drive with electronic speed control 33/45 rpm
- Height adjustable decoupling feet
- Precision balanced TPE*-damped aluminium-platter
- Metal/MDF sandwich chassis floating on TPE* suspension
- 9” carbon/aluminium tonearm with MM & MC capability
- Inverted EVO bearing design with four ABEC7 spec ballraces
- Arm bearing housing of solid ring type. The massive outside ring is open to avoid resonances
- Azimuth and VTA fully adjustable
- TPE damped counterweight
- Classic wooden chassis in 2 satin finishes (walnut, eucalyptus)
- Dustcover included
Platter & sub-platter
The heavy aluminium main platter construction utilises advanced thermo plastic elastomers (TPE*) for optimising resonance behaviour.
A drawback for most of the old designs was the platter. Casted platters all have been heavy (which is good for speed constancy and low wow and flutter) but suffered very much from ringing effects which again caused colouration of the sound. The platter of The Classic Evo is precisely machined out of a special aluminium alloy again damped with TPE*, which offers special damping abilities. The main bearing construction we use is a similar system as the one on the Vienna Philharmonic Recordplayer.
The diamond cut precision alu sub-platter, like in the limited edition Vienna Philharmonic Recordplayer, enables much improved tolerances. This extraordinarily sophisticated part is accurately machined and guarantees a very good isolation between bearing noise and the platter itself.
New carbon/aluminium tonearm
The radical new designed Classic tonearm is the result of 25 years of experience in mechanical construction. The tonearm tube is made out of a sandwich of carbon and aluminium: carbon for stiffness and speed, alu for better damping. The bearing has been upgraded to the same type that is used on our Pro-Ject CC EVO tonearms. It facilitates frictionless vertical and horizontal movement, guaranteeing precise tracking across the entire duration of the record. The counterweight incorporates a TPE* damper which allows us to reduce the amplitude of the tonearm cartridge resonance frequency by 50%.
As typical for Pro-Ject and absolutely not standard at that price range we offer also azimuth and VTA adjustment to use a variety of cartridges.
We supply as standard the Ortofon Quintet Red moving coil cartridge. However, as the tonearm offers excellent damping and flexibility as well, its effective mass can be called middle heavy, so it is also a very good partner for MC cartridges. As the Classic is a wonderful state of the art deck, we decided to use an MC cartridge to use the potential of the player. MC cartridges are expensive, but the better choice. They are rarely used at such a pricepoint. We are therefore convinced to offer you an unbeatable price-performance package.
||33, 45, 78 (electronic speed change)
||300 mm aluminium
|Wow & flutter
||33: ±0.10 % 45: ±0.09 %
||33: ±0.13 % 45: ±0.10 %
|Signal to noise
||9” carbon/aluminium sandwich tonearm
|Effective arm length
|Effective arm mass
||10 - 30mN
||15 volts DC / 0.8A power supply, dust cover
||110/120 or 230/240 Volt - 50 or 60 Hz
||5 watt max / < 0.5 watt standby
||462 x 131 x 351 mm (WxHxD) lid closed
||10.5 kg net
About Ortofon 2M Bronze Cartridge
Ortofon moving magnet cartridge
- Ortofon moving magnet cartridge
- Nude Fine Line stylus
- Supplied in OEM packaging
2M Bronze Specifications
- Output voltage at 1000 Hz, 5cm/sec. 5 mV
- Channel balance at 1 kHz 1 dB
- Channel separation at 1 kHz 26 dB
- Channel separation at 15 kHz 15 dB
- Frequency range at - 3dB 20-29.000 Hz
- Frequency response 20-20.000 + 2 / - 0 dB
- Tracking ability at 315Hz at recommended tracking force 80 µm
- Compliance, dynamic, lateral 22 µm/mN
- Stylus type Nude Fine Line
- Stylus tip radius r/R 8/40 µm
- Tracking force range 1,4-1,7g (14-17 mN)
- Tracking force, recommended 1,5 g (15 mN)
- Tracking angle 20°
- Internal impedance, DC resistance 1,2 kOhm
- Internal inductance 630 mH
- Recommended load resistance 47 kOhm
- Recommended load capacitance 150-300 pF
- Cartridge colour, body/stylus Black/Bronze
- Cartridge weight 7,2 g