The PM-12SE circuitry offers the cleanest signal path through amplifier, which delivers 100W per channel into 8ohm speakers, or 200Wpc into 4ohm.
MADE IN JAPAN
New Premium Products from Marantz are always reason for the audiophile community to celebrate. And the new 12 Series Special Edition is no exception. Marantz Special Editions are the Marantz way to celebrate the love of music that run deep in the veins of Marantz Sound Masters and engineers, exhibited in the artistry and craftsmanship of those special components. With unwavering attention to detail, Marantz Special Editions produce unequaled Hi-Fi sound that exalts the mastery and emotion of music.
Its equipped with high-quality nickel-plated copper input terminals and high-purity copper speaker connections.
- Engineered and extensively tuned by a team, drawing on more than 65 years of Marantz amplifier design knowledge
- Marantz high-resolution preamplifier stage with proprietary HDAM technology
- Switching power amplifier design derived from flagship PM-10 amplifier
- Generous output: 100W + 100W (into 8ohm), 200W + 200W (4ohm)
- Fully-discrete, two-stage design for signal purity, with separate power supplies for preamp and power amplifier sections to reduce interference
- Toroidal transformer dedicated to preamp for clarity and powerful sound
- Current feedback design with newly-developed wide-range circuitry
- HDAM® SA3 circuitry for clean signal and optimal dynamics
- MM/MC Phono input with new discrete Marantz Musical Premium Phono EQ circuit
- Thick nickel-plated copper independent input terminals for CD and Phono, plus Marantz-original high-quality/high-purity copper-plated speaker terminals
- Linear volume control with new electric volume system
- High-quality construction with double-layer chassis and solid aluminum front
- Purest Mode deactivates unused circuits for best audio performance
- High-grade, carefully selected audio parts: ultra-low leak current Schottky diodes, low noise complementary transistors, high-grade resistors, newly developed custom electrolytic capacitors, audio grade film capacitors and mica capacitors.
Marantz Special Edition
Extensive and painstaking tuning by sound masters is what powers the exquisite sonic signature of any Marantz product. No component leaves the hands of Marantz Sound Masters until it passes rigorous testing. Only the finest products, thoroughly tested and tenderly handled, make it to your home.
Marantz Special Editions are the Marantz way to celebrate the love of music that runs deep in the veins of Marantz sound masters and engineers, exhibited in the artistry and craftsmanship of those special components. Sound Masters will occasionally identify a product with a higher potential than expected and master it with extra unwavering attention to detail, component selection and listening sessions. The original PM-12 was solely created for the Japanese market, and quickly proved to be the next chosen one. European sound engineers combined it with achievements made developing the famous PM-KI Ruby, and thus the PM-12 Special Edition was born.
Extensive Sound Tuning
Extensive and painstaking tuning has long been the secret of fine sounding Marantz amplifiers. For the PM-12SE, the Marantz engineering team used all their experience and expertise, both in the design of the amplifier and in the long listening sessions involved in finalizing the sound. The team of Sound Masters located in Japan and Europe didn’t stop their intensive work until they were absolutely certain they reached the height of quality worthy of the Marantz name.
Marantz HDAM Technology
Marantz developed its own discrete circuit boards called Hyper-Dynamic Amplifier Modules, or HDAMs, to replace the chip-based amps used elsewhere. Using discrete surface mount components with short mirror-image left and right signal paths, HDAMs outperform the regular integrated Op-amps dramatically in Slew Rate and noise level. The result is much more dynamic, accurate and detailed sound. Over the years, Marantz has developed different HDAMs to fit the particular requirements of players and amplifiers. The PM-12SE uses the latest high-grade SA3 version. Combined with optimized circuit design layout and carefully selected components, the PM-12SE provides exceptional sound quality and performance.
Marantz Musical Premium Phono EQ
Marantz took its ongoing commitment to vinyl to new heights with the introduction of Marantz Musical Premium Phono EQ stage. Designed to deliver optimal sound quality by simplifying the signal path — vital given the delicate nature of phono signals — the Phono EQ stage in the PM-12SE amplifier can be used with both moving magnet and low-output moving coil cartridges, thanks to a built-in MC head amplifier. The phono stage uses two-stage amplification, combining Marantz HDAMs with JFETs (junction gate field effect transistors) in the input stage, giving high input impedance. This allows the no-negative-feedback design to be further simplified by the deletion of coupling capacitors, again reducing distortion and enhancing signal purity.
High Quality Volume Control
High Quality Volume ControlNewly developed electric volume control uses the latest volume control IC to realize better channel separation, dynamic range and distortion-reduction, while retaining the operational feel of an analog volume control device. The amplifier employs new Marantz-designed electric volume control for high linearity and best-in-class channel separation.
Current Feedback Amplifier
Current Feedback amplification is a well-known, Marantz-original circuit technology, thoughtfully designed to match the requirements of Super Audio hi-res music for wide-bandwidth, high-speed reproduction. The impedance at the Current Feedback point is limited, generating a very low phase shift. Marantz Current Feedback amplifiers reduce the need for phase compensation by minimizing Negative Feedback (NFB). This simplifies the signal path and results in a high through-rate, excellent transient response and superb sonic transparency across the full bandwidth. Unlike conventional Voltage Feedback topology, Current Feedback also makes the power amplifier insensitive to difficult loudspeaker loads.
Drawing on design elements of the PM-10, the PM-12SE is built to leverage enhancements, maintain the purest possible sound and support the power needed to drive the most demanding speakers. The amplifier output stage of the PM-12SE allows a large power output, delivering 2x100W into an 8ohm load, and easily copes with high-impedance speakers thanks to a 2x200W output into 4ohms. The amplifier module connects directly to the rear panel PCB on the PM-12SE to maintain signal purity and sound stability.
Pure Analog Design
The purely analog design of the PM-12SE contributes to its noise-reduction structure and clean build: many rival designs are today including digital-to-analogue conversion, or adopting digital amplification and volume control, but Marantz keeps things as clean and simple as possible with its acclaimed all-analogue design. It may seem convenient to have a DAC in the amplifier, but digital circuitry is by its very nature, noisy (in the electrical sense) and can interfere with the delicate analogue signals passing through the amp. That's why Marantz chose to design its Premium Series range without any digital-to-analogue conversion, keeping its amplifiers as pure and clean as possible.
There’s also a Power Amp input, taking the signal straight from the input section to the power stage to let the unit work as a pure power amplifier.
Built to Perform
Like the complementary SA-12SE Super Audio CD player, the PM-12SE integrated amplifier is constructed to the highest standards with a front panel made from thick, heavy, non-magnetic aluminum to eliminate interference. Thick, nickel-plated copper independent input terminals for CD and Phono plus Marantz original high-quality/high-purity copper plated speaker terminals ensure the best signal possible.
- Channels 2
- Current Feedback Topology Yes
- Full balanced amplifier circuitry architecture No
- Power Transformer Toroidal and SMPS
- HDAM version SA3, SA2
- Symmetric PCB Layout Yes
- High Grade Audio Components Yes
- Customized Components Yes
- Aluminum extrusion heat sink Yes
- Power Output (8 / 4 ohms) 100 W / 200 W
- Frequency Response 5Hz-50kHz
- Total Harmonic Distortion 0.005%
- (1kHz, 8Ω)
- Damping Factor 500 dB
- Input Sensitivity: Phono input MM: 2.3 mV / 39 kohm
- MC: 250
- Signal to Noise Ratio: inputs PHONO (MM): 88dB
- PHONO (MC): 75dB
- CD: 107dB
- Input Sensitivity: CD/LINE/RECORDER 220 mV / 13 kohm
- Input Sensitivity: Phono input 1.1 V / 13 kohm
- Bass / Treble / Balance Control Yes / Yes / Yes
- Source Direct Yes